Wednesday 9 June 2010

Chocolate Brownie


I attempted my first brownie 2 weeks ago and made a thorough mess of the quantities of the ingredients!  I misread the recipe and put in far too much butter and only had milk chocolate instead of dark.  Nevertheless, a brownie was made but sorely lacking the deep dark moreishness of a proper brownie.

That recipe abandoned, I tried a new one from a book I bought 6wks ago - Cakes & Bakes from my mother's kitchen.

This recipe uses cocoa powder instead of melting the chocolate over simmering water so it's much easier.  Also gives a deep chocolatey flavour - mind you probably helps as I used the right type of chocolate this time!  I didn't add as many walnuts as the recipe suggested though but added some milk and white chocolate buttons that I had in the pantry.  I'm not keen on the idea of gooey undercooked cake either (maybe as I'm currently not supposed to eat undercooked foods), so I baked the brownie for 45 minutes instead of 25.  The cake is still moist albeit cooked through.

We ate the warm brownie with scoops of vanilla ice-cream and strawberries.  I don't have to tell you that it was g-o-o-o-o-o-d!

I usually take my baked creations to work or craft class so it can be enjoyed - this brownie is a bit too good to leave home but, it's too much for two people to eat even if hubby needs fattening up and I'm eating for two! ;0)

I think we'll have to keep some at home to eat over the weekend and maybe I can spare some to sweeten my work colleagues with!



Recipe: (from Cakes & Bakes from my mother's kitchen)
makes 16 brownies

100g walnut pieces (I used 75g)
4 large eggs (from my own hens so they are probably medium sized)
300g caster sugar (this horrified me so I used 250g)
140g unsalted butter, melted  (I only had salted butter so used that)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
140g plain flour
75g cocoa powder

(I also added a small kid sized bag of milk choc buttons and white choc buttons leftover from decorating cupcakes - I guess around 25-50g?)

brownie tin, 20.5 x 25.5 cm, greased and base lined with baking paper.


Preheat oven to 170 C (325F) Gas 3

Put walnut pieces in ovenproof dish and lightly toast in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes.  Remove from the oven and leave to cool.  Don't turn off oven.

Break eggs into mixing bowl.  Use hand-held electric mixer to whisk until frothy, then whisk in the sugar.  Whisk for a minute then, still whisking constantly, add the melted butter in a steady stream.  Whisk for a minute, then whisk in the vanilla.

Sift the flour and cocoa into the bowl and stir in with a wooden spoon.  When thoroughly combined, stir in the nuts.  Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and spread evenly.

Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes until a skewer inserted halfway between the sides and the centre comes out just clean.  Remove the tin from the oven.

Leave to cool completely before removing from the tin nad cutting into 16 pieces.  Store in an airtight container and eat within 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment