Monday 26 December 2011

Steamed Barbecue Buns

Hi!

I've not disappeared!  Just enjoying time as a mum and watching little "leaf" develop into a funny little, cheeky, lovable chappie!  So I apologise for not keeping you all posted! 

Minh's first birthday has come and gone and I will have to load up some photos of his grand day.  We decided to get caterers for the food but I made all the desserts.  This was a mighty affair!  We had: Lemon Cheesecake; Blueberry Cheesecake; Fresh Fruit and Cream Gateaux; Tropical Fruit salad (ok, this one was bought in!) and Minh's crowning glory, a 3-tier birthday cake!  Tiers were: lemon with homemade lemon curd, vanilla with homemade jam and to top, a gluten-free carrot cake with lemon butter icing!  I also made iced biscuits for the children's party bags!  Yes!  It was hard work especially as cakes cannot be made too far in advance!  Can you understand why we had caterers in now? 


Just thought I'd share a Steamed Bun recipe - it's a favourite of mine as it uses baking powder as the raising agent - not yeast which I find can taint the taste of steamed buns.  (I'm sure I'd promised to share the recipe?)  Little Leaf and Daddy Leaf enjoyed the buns and its lovely to see them sat on the bottom step opposite the door to the kitchen sharing a bun.  (Little Leaf doesn't eat the filling - he's a bit funny like that!)

Still not quite as white and cloud-like as restaurant buns but tasty all the same :)


Steamed Barbecue Buns


Ingredients:

Bun Dough
250 g (2.5 cup) Special Bun Flour  (I use chinese bun flour as the UK supermarket flour makes an off white dough and doesn't result in a white fluffy bun)
18 g (3.5 tsp) baking powder
45 g (3 tblsp) caster sugar
30 g (2 tblsp) white vegetable fat (Trex) or vegetable oil (or lard)
120 ml (1/2 cup) water (approx)
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar

Method:

  • Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl add sugar and mix, rub in the vegetable fat/lard with your fingertips until evenly distributed. (If using oil, just add oil with the vinegar and water.)
  • Add water and vinegar together and knead until a fairly soft dough.
  • Shape into a ball and let it rest, covered, for 30 minutes.
To make the buns
  • Divide the dough into12 portions.
  • Mould each into a smooth ball.
  • Roll each out on a lightly floured surface to a circle about 4 inches across.
  • Put a heaping teaspoon of filling in the centre and gather the edges inward, folding and pleating to make a neat join.
  • Twist dough to seal.
  • Put each bun, join upwards, on a flattened paper cake case, in a steamer.
  • Cover and steam for 15 minutes.
  • Serve warm.
The filling for today's buns was Barbecue Pork -  I'm fortunate enough to have a supplier for this - also known as my mum, "Mrs Plum".  Here's how I made my filling:


Barbecue Pork Filling:

160 g barbecue roast pork (thinly sliced into 1cm sized pieces)
1 shallot (very finely diced)
100 g water
1.5 tsp Lee Kum Kee “Char Siu Sauce”
1 tsp oyster sauce
15 ml water
1 tsp cornflour

Fry shallot in a little oil, add finely sliced barbecue pork and fry gently for 2 minutes. Add water, char siu sauce and oyster sauce. Simmer for 3 minutes. Thicken with cornflour/water mix. Taste sauce for seasoning. Allow to cool slightly before using as bun filling.

Recipe adapted from www.recipezaar.com/11087

I will upload some piccies of the steamed buns later - the buns have disappeared so quickly I'm off to make another batch!

Hot steamy action!


I hope you are enjoying the festive period and are enjoying time with friends family and some great food!


My two taste-testers!  If the son & hubbs approve it must be good! :D



3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday little leaf! And a job well done Mummy! That is an amazing amount of cake. Wow. Hoping you and your family are enjoying the festive season too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi PlumLeaf,

    Thanks for sharing the recipe. I believe I was the one who asked you if you could share an easy, hassle-free pao (the dough) recipe. I'm glad you're not using yeast. Recently, I've bought a packet of bapao wheat flour, but since I don't read Chinese, I'm not sure if I have to use the flour as is, without adding yeast or baking powder? Maybe I'll have to go for a trial and error test if by adding or not adding the raising agent works :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apologies for lack of reply Nasifriet.. :(
    Did you make your buns? How did they turn out?
    The Chinese word for yeast is : 酵母. If it says it has that then you wouldn't need to add a raising agent. The Purple Orchid Brand of flour I use has a separate packet of yeast in the bag. I just don't use it.

    ReplyDelete