Friday 30 July 2010

Gooey Chocolate Brownie


This is my third attempt at making Brownies and this is certainly a gooey one!  The first one I made was by melting chocolate (milk as I'd run out of plain) and butter together - it was gooey but I didn't like it.  The second recipe I used used cocoa powder and I cooked this one a bit longer so it was more cakey than gooey.  It had a good deep dark chocolate hit. 

I made these Brownies as a result of seeing them here The Squidgiest Brownies You Ever Did Taste.  They looked really good and so warranted a try.

I tweaked the recipe to my liking as I didn't use the 70% cocoa solids plain chocolate.  Mine was only 48% so I couldn't justify needing as much sugar that the recipe called for.  I wasn't so sure on needing the brownie to be chewy so opted to half the strong flour for plain.  I decided to toast the nuts in the oven first to give them that little bit extra flavour to them other than that, everything was followed pretty much to the 'T'.



The result was a good chocolatey brownie - sweet enough and chocolatey enough too.  It probably would've been deep dark and sinful if I'd used chocolate with a higher percentage of cocoa solids, but that is what was in the cupboard at the time.

I took some to my craft class with me and it went down a storm!  Remembered to save some for hubbs and judging by the way he was guarding the cake tin - I'd say he liked it too! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow..this look so good. How much sugar you ended up using by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm...I can't remember now! Should've included it in blog!
    I think it will depend on the type of chocolate you use. I bitter chocolate with 70% cocoa solids (as in the original recipe) wil need 600g sugar to make it sweet. I used a 48% cocoa solids plain chocolate that wasn't too bitter, I think I probably used 400g?
    I was just thinking earlier today I fancy some brownies!

    ReplyDelete